Make up/ Nail Varnish
Nail varnish and acrylic nails are not permitted. If make-up and/or nail varnish is visible, students will be asked to remove it and an appropriate sanction will be given. Acrylic nails must be removed.
Body art/ Piercings
Henna tattoos, or any other form of body art and body piercing, is not permitted in College.
Hair bands and clips must be black or brown. Long hair must be tied back for Physical Education, Science and Design
& Technology. All hairstyles should be appropriate for a formal setting. Hair must be blended gradually throughout any changes in length of hairstyle, and therefore is not extreme in any part of its cut or length/s of hair (examples below). All hair colours must be of a shade that occurs naturally. Dip dyed hair, vibrant coloured hair and bleached hair is not permitted. No shaved lines or patterns are to be cut into the style. If you are unsure please contact the Assistant Principal for Behaviour before arranging a cut.
Only one pair of gold or silver plain stud earrings and a watch may be worn. We will only accept one piercing to be in the lobe of each ear. No other piercings or retainers on the ear or face, or anywhere else, are permitted. Students will not be permitted to attend College with a retainer or a plaster over any unhealed piercing. Claiming that any piercing has not healed will not be regarded as an acceptable excuse for wearing jewellery. No other items of jewellery are allowed.
• Students are expected to wear correct uniform on journeys to and from College and throughout the College day.
• On entry to College, uniform will be checked by duty staff. PE kit is not to be worn directly to College – only in particular events will this be given permission
• Where incorrect items are being worn, students will be asked to go home to remedy the breach if this is possible.
Alternatively, a uniform change will be made by an item being loaned from College stock.
• All staff will check, challenge and correct uniform throughout the College day by confiscating items not part of policy
• Students are to leave College in their uniform (there may be some occasions when PE kit is worn after a sports club/fixture)
• On leaving College at the end of a day, uniform will be checked by duty staff. Students leaving from a Period 6 sports club will leave in their College PE kit
• Students will be challenged by staff for incorrect items of uniform and items will be confiscated (or alternatives offered)
• Items confiscated will be available for students to collect from Student Reception at the end of the day
• Should a student refuse the request to change their uniform into an item being loaned from College stock, or refuse to remove any make-up, acrylic nails or Jewellery, this will be addressed as defiance and students will be internally isolated
• Ongoing and unresolved uniform policy infringement will lead to a meeting between the relevant year group
Assistant Principal, the Uniform Manager and parents/carers to resolve the problem
• For persistent, unresolved, or extreme uniform policy infringement, students will be internally excluded (C4 sanction)
View full Midhurst Rother College Uniform Policy