At Midhurst Rother College we are aware that the transition from primary into Year 7 at secondary school can be challenging for both parents and students. During this period of Covid-19 and the different ways on which we have had to work in our schools, we are continuing to work hard on making sure that transition 2021 is the best as it possibly can be, even though this will likely look different in many ways. We know we can still achieve a comfortable transition which will give confidence to our new Year 7 students when they join us later in the year.
So far we have adapted our approaches which worked very well for Transition 2020 and will continue with further alterations for 2021.
- All Year 6 teachers will still been spoken with to gather information about each student. This included individualised conversations to the SENCO staff of each school to discuss the support for these students.
- We are introducing key members of staff to parents and students via a series of short welcome videos. Each of these will give you a bit more about transition and what to expect at MRC. Some are already on our website, others will be updated soon.
- Uniform will be available online or via appointment to go in store. Further details will be given in the Summer term.
- We are not sure what visits will be able to happen. If they can happen, we will do everything to make them possible. However, some AEN and vulnerable students will be offered individual visits to site to better prepare them and support their needs.
- Our Transition Evening will take place in July - we do not know yet if in person or online but either way, we look forward to speaking with you.
- All year 6 students will have a Transition Passport to complete during the summer. This includes some 'get to know you' activities and some subject work.
- Each Year 6 student will receive a letter from one of our Year 7 students. This will welcome them to MRC and will share some of their experiences settling into secondary school.
- We are currently continuing with Year 6 experience days and are doing this virtually. Thank you to all who joined the first one in September, it was great to see you all on screen!
- Subjects here at MRC will be hosting live welcome taster sessions virtually into Primary schools throughout the next two terms. Local schools will be participating and helping us join you altogether virtually!
- We will be working on a new program with local feeder schools on some better personal preparation for transition to secondary school focusing on a PSE style series of sessions designed and planned by MRC and hosted jointly between Primary school staff and MRC school staff.
- Uniform is available online or via appointment to go in store. Please click here to link to Stevensons website. Ensure that you have registered with Stevensons if you choose to book an in store appointment.
- Should you have any concerns about your child joining Midhurst Rother College in September 2021, please do not hesitate to contact us, directly on 01730 812451 or via our website Contact Us facility where we will get back to you as soon as we can.