At Midhurst Rother College we are aware that the transition from primary into Year 7 at secondary school can be challenging for both parents and students. During this period of Covid-19 school closures we are working hard on making sure that transition continues as best as it possibly can, even though this will look different in many ways. We know we can still achieve a comfortable transition which will give confidence to our new Year 7 students when they join us later in the year.
So far we have adapted our approaches;
- Instead of going out to visit Year 6 classes we are talking to all Year 6 teachers on the phone to gather information about each student. This includes individualised phone calls to the SENCO staff of each school to discuss the support for these students.
- We are introducing key members of staff to parents and students via a series of short welcome videos. Each of these will give you a bit more about transition and what to expect at MRC.
- Our uniform pop-up shop date (Thursday 2 July) has been converted to a potential 'sizing event' where samples can be available to help you then better complete an order online. More information will be shared soon. If you would like to see more about our uniform, please click here to link to Stevensons website.
- Those Year 6 students who live out of the area and have not been to see us before may be able to do so in July for some small group visits. We will communicate about this when we are able to offer it safely.
- Some AEN students usually participate in a mini-transition event to visit our site; we may be able to offer some of this in June/July on an individual family basis and will contact relevant parents to discuss.
- It is our intention that we will hold a transition evening/s, if it is safe to do so, where parents and carers are invited to attend a presentation, and where there will also be the opportunity to meet key staff members.
Ultimately, every family will have an individual phone call from a member of the MRC transition team before the end of term to welcome you and to answer any other questions you might have. until then, we hope you find this information helpful, but should you have any concerns whatsoever about your child joining Midhurst Rother College in September 2020, please do not hesitate to contact us, directly on 01730 812451 or via our website Contact Us facility where we will get back to you as soon as we can.